What a summer we have had so far! With loads of opportunities for eating outside, entertaining with family and friends and lighting the barbeque.
What to cook is the big question and we recently talked about this on our Food and Flower styling day, where our clients made beautiful displays of flowers and a delicious summer party desserts. I thought that I would share some of these points with you with a recipe for your to try.
First of a few things to think about when planning your event:
Top Tips from Velvet Fig
Think about what you would like to eat, drink or experience
Plan the food and drink
Keep it simple if in doubt
Prepare as much as possible in advance
Always used a tried and tested recipe
Lay the table to set the scene, informal/formal/self service/sit down
Use appetisers instead of a starter
Start with a centre piece dish, add accompanying dishes such as breads & salads
Bear in mind any dietary requirements
Thinking about your menu I have included a great recipe for a delicious summer dessert, have a go, its easier than you think.
Roasted Peach & Almond Meringue Roulade
2 fresh nectarines/peaches
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp honey
a spring of lemon thyme – optional
4 Egg whites
225g caster sugar
1 tsp white wine vinegar
40g ground almonds
30g flaked almonds
150ml double cream
150ml greek yogurt
1 tsp almond extract
1. Heat the oven to 200c, toast the flaked almonds for a few mintues and allow to cool. Meanwhile line the swiss roll tin with parchment. (23x30cm)
2. Cut the fruit into cubes, drizzle with a tsp of brown sugar, tsp of honey and lemon thyme if using. Place on a baking tray and place in the oven for 15-20 mintues until soft.
3. Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites until stiff, spoon in the sugar gradually until glossy.
4. Fold in the ground almonds and the vinegar, pour into the lined tin and sprinkle with flaked almonds.
5. Bake at 160c for 20-25 mins, tip onto a sheet of parchment allow to cool
6. Whip the cream until thickish, add the yogurt and almond extract and spread over the meringue, dot with peaches and roll up.
7. Chill for at least 30 minutes and serve with dusted with icing sugar.
Can be served with fresh berries as well.
So hope you all have a great Summer, where ever you are off to and we will see you again in September.
We are currently planning some more experience days so watch this space.
All the best