Get yourself ready for Easter by whipping up this fun and delicious Easter cake recipe, the whole family will love it.
250g soft butter
250g caster sugar
250g plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
5 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
35g cocoa powder
Chocolate ganache topping:
300g dark chocolate
150ml double cream
1. Preheat your oven to 160 degrees fan. Grease a bundt tin with cake release spray or flavourless oil and light coating of flour.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Meanwhile, measure out the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
3. Gradually add the beaten eggs to the fluffy butter, go carfeully so the mixture does not curdle.
4. Fold in the flour and gently mix until incorporated, fold in the vanilla and milk.
5. Remove a third of the batter into another bowl. Mix the cocoa to a thick paste with 3tbsp hot water from the kettle and fold into the third of the batter.
6. Fill the bundt tin with a layer of vanilla, then the chcolate and a layer of vanilla. Swirl a knife throught the mixture and bake for approx 50 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
7. Leave your cake in the tin for at least 10 minutes, to allow it to cool enough to turn out.
8. Once cooled, you can make the chocolate topping.
9. Chop up your chocolate into small pieces, heat the cream in a microwave until boiling, about 3 minutes (or in a small pan, on the hob). Pour it over the chocolate, leave for a few minutes, then stir until smooth and glossy.
10. Using this glaze, pour around a third of it over the cake to drip down the sides. You can then let this cool until thick enough to pipe. Using a disposible piping bag and star nozzle, pipe the nests around the top the cake and place some chocolate eggs in the centre of each nest.
Enjoy your Easter treat.